Posted on 2018-01-09
By WIAT-TV WIAT-TV
MMJ Reporter for the State Capitol Bureau in Alabama. Report news and feature stories, blogs and other material originated by the reporter, or assigned by the editor, and read them accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner for five Alabama-Nexstar stations.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Build network of informational sources that will enable the company to stay ahead of its competitors. Cover Alabama legislature during sessions January thru May and special legislative sessions.
- Present clear, creative and accurate live shots. Live shots for all five stations and live morning news shots.
- Gather accurate and interesting information for newscast presentations. Governor day to day coverage, press conferences, dignitaries from other States and Countries visiting State Capitol for meetings with Governor.
- Develop ideas for news, feature and enterprise pieces, as well as investigative stories specifically to State Government stories, (Many initiatives presented every week affecting Alabamians) Attorney General court cases and cecisions, and State Supreme Court Decisions.
- Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation including Economic announcements and jobs coming to the State, Alabama Tourism announcements, and initiatives and effects on the State.
- Campaign coverage from Montgomery (State, Congressional)
- Investigate State Government waste reports
- Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
- Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.
- Proficient at screening and logging video tapes and providing written editing instructions to tape editors.
- Adept at ad-lib presentations, without aid of scripts and/or teleprompters. Possess exceptional research skills.
- Covering State Government experience is a plus
Education/Experience: Bachelors degree in Journalism or related field preferred, with minimum of (2) two years experience as news reporter.
Training/Equipment: Operate newsroom computer systems.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Position requires the transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. Position often requires work in extreme outdoor temperatures.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at: https://nexstar.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/JobSearch/viewAll
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer